- Try listening to the interesting (but for me ultimately infuriating) ABC Science Show podcast below, and spot the contradiction. I see contradicting renewable philosophies all the time. They push conflicting ideas.
- Baseload or not? Some claim they’ll make renewables baseload and reliable 24/7, but others like Amory Lovins say instead of baseload they’ll demand-model the need for baseload away. We don’t need much power at night, right?
- Except when we’re going to charge about half our car fleet on night time electricity! (NREL model says 45% of American cars could be charged at night). That’s the way we’re going to replace oil isn’t it? Oh, no one told Amory Lovins that baseload power *might* be important because we’re going to charge cars at night when there is spare capacity?
- Of course renewables are going to need storage!
- Of course renewables are NOT going to need storage! (Amory Lovins).
- Of course we’re going to need an Australia wide super-grid (to cope with intermittency, spread the supply and demand, and move power from deserts to cities)!
- Of course we’re all going off grid!
- I often hear totally contradictory POV’s in the same science podcast celebrating renewables! Try listening to this recent ABC Science show report and see if you can spot contradictory ideas being pushed in the same podcast, and no one hardly blinks an eyelid. To me it stood out like a bright neon light warning “Danger!” ahead.
Search this blog
James Hansen promotes this FREE book as THE solution to climate change!
This free book analyses the limitations of intermittent, dispersed renewable energy
Free poster to download
Jim Baerg on Future Martians might fetch Ni… Eclipse Now on Future Martians might fetch Ni… Jim Baerg on Future Martians might fetch Ni… Eclipse Now on Killer heatwaves Eclipse Now on Killer heatwaves
My political persuasion
- CLIMATE & CONSERVATION
- GEEK LIFE
- POLITICS AND GEOPOLITICS
- SUSTAINABLE INDUSTRY
- TOWNS & TRANSPORT